Sunday, October 18, 2009

Furniture Facelift

Good Evening Everyone!
 Today's blog is about fixing up that odd piece of furniture that you own that you're not quite sure what to do with it. Before you give it a home next to the dumpster- FREEZE! You can easily give even the ugliest piece of furniture a fresh new look that reflects your style without breaking the bank (mine cost me under $40.00!)

I had this not so pretty, odd shaped dresser that I could not stand looking at any longer! I dragged my apprehensive sister with me to Home Depot and picked up:

  •  1 pint of Behr's Cottage White paint (find enamel that suites the project you are doing)
  • Primer- there is spray can primer available that dries in about ten minutes, I would recommend Kilz
  • New knobs for dresser (you might have to get lock washers to hold in place depending on your piece of furniture) mine were about $2.00-$3.00 each
  • Sand paper
  • Paint brush or roller
  • Paint tray
  • Old rag/cloth
  • Patience
Directions:
1. First, sand your piece of furniture and remove hardware- knobs, etc. if applicable.
2. Using a damp cloth, wipe away all of the small pieces of wood that the sand paper left behind.
3. Spray or paint piece of furniture with primer (let dry and do at least 2 coats).
4. Apply first coat of paint, if there are drawers- make sure you take them out before hand. Take your time and apply paint evenly as possible.
5. Let furniture dry and paint another coat. You might have to do three coats depending on the paint color.
6. After your second coat of paint dries, you can now screw in your new knobs.
7. Enjoy your new, cost effective piece of furniture!!!

I chose a cottage white paint since I felt that it would go great with my pallet of soft beiges, grey/blues, and whites that I already have in my room. I also have a lot of silver in my room- my lamp shade post, candle holders, etc. so I picked silver knobs to pick up those hues of silver to create a more cohesive look. I love the result and I get many comments on my "cute" dresser! Stay tuned to Shanna's Treasures for more cost effective decor solutions.


                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment